Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Easy Winter Hat with Flower


Hello Friends,

It's been a few days since I've posted. So, this is long overdue. All I can say is that I really need to get a hold of time and slow it down. The days go by too quickly :)

We live in the Houston area and the weather has been bitter cold and really nice almost at the same time. It seems like winter always creeps up on me. I hadn't really thought about warmer accessories for my girls until we were walking out the door one day this past week and YIKES! was it cold. Where did the nice days go? Anyway, I knew I needed to do something about. 

I haven't been crocheting lately. Not because I didn't want to, but because I'm trying to get better at knitting. I'm working on a sweater for my oldest and it's taking forever. I'm one of those instant gratification types. It has been a lesson in patience. I'm almost done with it though. I'm working on the sleeves :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that both sleeves end up the same length. LOL

Anyway, I digress. I decided I wanted to whip up a couple of beanies for my girls that were functional and cute. Crochet beanies are pretty simple and easy to make. Plus, you don't have to do much to make a plain one cute. 

Here's what I came up with. I raided my stash of yarn (which is sadly shrinking) and decided on a dark teal super wash wool from Debbie Bliss. I wanted wool for the warmth and natural fiber content, but super wash because, well frankly, kids get dirty and I wanted to be able to throw it in the wash. I always lay flat to dry but machine washable is always a plus.

Here is my disclaimer: This really isn't a tutorial and I'm not a pattern writer AT ALL. So, I'm just going to give you the gist of what I did to make this beanie and you (who I am sure are more competent than I) will have no problem taking this idea and making it your own.

Supplies List:
1 skein medium/worsted weight yarn
size I crochet hook
scrap yarn for flower
button (If desired, for smaller children this can be a choking hazard)

Terminology:
dc = double crochet
hdc = half double crochet
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
yo = yarn over
sl st = slip stitch

When crocheting a hat, I always start by chaining two or three depending on whether I'm using double crochet stitch or hdc or sc. For this hat, I used a dc so I started by chaining 3, then yarn over (yo) and insert the hook into the first chain, dc, yo, dc, yo, etc until I had 12 dc in the first chain stitch. Slip stitch to join. That is your 1st round. Pull center yarn to tighten round and get rid of the hole in the center. Chain 2. Now you are probably thinking, shouldn't I chain 3 for dc. Well, yes, I guess you should, but I usually just do 2 because when I do 3 it leaves a hole and I don't like that so I do 2. You do what you want. It's your hat :)

For the second row, I dc 2x in each stich around, slip stitch to join, chain 2 and start my next row.

Row three, I follow a pattern of 2dc, then 1dc, then 2dc, and so on until the end. sl st to join. chain 2

For row four, I 2dc, 1dc, 1dc, 2dc around until the end, sl st to join and chain 2.

Row 5 I repeated row 4.

Now depending on what size you want to make your hat, I usually measure my kids head and make it to fit with a little stretch for growing room. This hat was made to fit my youngest whose head is 19" around. I keep a tape measure handy to measure each round as I start to get close to the diameter I need. If I need more rounds I progressively do fewer 2dc's and more 1dc's in each stitch to make it larger evenly around. Once I reach the desired diameter, I just do 1dc in each stitch until it's as deep as I need it to be. This hat has 14 rows of dc stitches.

To make it a little cuter, I decided to do a simple scalloped around the edge of the hat. I sl st in the first stitch, skip 1 stitch, dc 5x's in the next stitch, skip 1 stitch, slip stitch to next stitch, skip 1 stitch, dc 5x's in the next stitch. Repeat this pattern all the way around until you get to the end and slip stitch to join. Tie off and weave in your ends. That's it for the hat. Easy Peasy :)

For the flower, I chain 3 like I did for the hat, but I did 7 hdc's and then slip stitched to join them together. I chained 4, yo 3x;s insert hook into first stitch and quadruple crochet. Do this 3x's, then chain 4 and slip stitch to join in the same stitch. Then slip stitch in the next stitch, chain 4, yo 3x's quadruple crochet, chain 4, sl st to join. Continue this pattern all the way around. You should end up with 6 petals. This makes the smaller flower. You can do one layer if it's for a baby or you just want one or you can use the same idea and make a larger one by starting with dc's instead of hdc's, chaining 6 and yo 5x's. I like to leave my ends long on my flowers so I can use the extra yarn to sew them together, sew on the button and onto the hat. Then I weave in the ends and trim.

I hope this sounds as simple as it really is because once you get the basic format down you can make all sorts of variations.

If you want to mak this for someone else and don't have size measurements, I like to use to following website for sizing references: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html

If you have any questions, feel free to post them and I'll answer as best as I can.

Hope you like the hat :)

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment